Monday, 26 January 2009

The Simplicity of Grief

Anyone who has lost somebody they have loved will understand the sentiment of this little poem I wrote. It's 10 years this June since my Step Dad passed away and I sometimes feel guilty that I don't think of him as often as I used to. My Mum talks about him every time we speak on the phone - just remembering little snippets of their life together and relating the day she has had to what 'Dad would have made of it all'.
She is settled in another relationship now with a man she loves very much. But Dad will always be in her heart.
The simplicity of grief is about how strange it is that the tiniest, most insignificant thing can upset you when you least expect it. Such is the nature of the beast. The obvious things like birthdays and anniversaries are often dealt with better but finding something unexpected can make you break down with so much sorrow it's like the oldest of wounds have been opened up. Of all the things that could have broken my mum, I will always remember what she said to me - it's in the poem, so please click and take a read. It's sad but it also reminds us that often the power of love is only realised in grief. If we have never loved we would never grieve would we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed